Marriage License Requirements
To be legally married in Saskatchewan, you require a Saskatchewan Marriage License. Marriage licenses may be purchased for $50.00 from marriage license issuers such as jewellery stores or town administrators. Please note that if you have been previously married and divorced, you will need to provide your copy of the Divorce Certificate at the time of purchase of the new license.

In Weyburn, you can purchase marriage licenses from:

  • York Jewellers - 842-5484
    39 - 3rd St. NE

The marriage license must be purchased before the wedding date, but not more than 90 days before the wedding date. Identification will be required upon purchase of a marriage license:

  • If you are a Canadian citizen you will need a valid driver’s license or birth certificate.

  • If you are from outside of Canada, you must show your birth certificate.

  • If you are a landed immigrant, you will need a valid birth certificate and your landed immigrant papers.

When you apply for the license, you will be asked a series of questions, located on the back of the license, which both applicants must complete and sign in the presence of the license issuer. This is called the Statutory Declaration.

To apply for a marriage license you must be at least 18 years old . People 16 or 17 years of age require an additional consent form. These forms are generally available at marriage license issuers.

Changing Your Name
Surname after Marriage:
After marriage, the bride or groom can choose the surname they wish to register and use.
They can:

  • Retain the surname given at time of birth.

  • Take the surname of their spouse.

  • Keep the current surname if different from birth name (i.e. previous married name).

  • Use both surnames in combination, usually hyphenated.

  • Ceremonies - Marriages may be conducted through a religious or civil ceremony.


Only clergy registered in Saskatchewan may perform religious ceremonies in Saskatchewan. Marriage commissioners will officiate at civil ceremonies and must be registered with the Marriage Unit, Saskatchewan Justice.

A Justice of the Peace may only marry people if the Justice is a Marriage Commissioner.

For more information on any of the above information, see the Saskatchewan Justice Website

For more information about changing your name, see Health Services Saskatchewan

For more information about appointments and fees for civil ceremonies, call the Marriage Unit at (306) 787-4132 or contact:

Marriage Unit
Family Justice Services Branch
Saskatchewan Justice
323-3085 Albert Street
Regina, SK S4S 0B1

Saskatchewan Vital Statistics:

Weyburn Marriage Commissioner:

Ms. Wendy Neiszner

Ms. Sheila Schneider
Ms. Penny Tochor